The GIZ Green People’s Energy (GBE) project, through its Small Projects Fund, is looking to offer financial support to initiatives in the decentralized renewable energy sector.
Being part of a variety of activities implemented by GBE to help achieve SDG 7, the project is designed to help organizations in implementing their own non-profit ideas in sub-Saharan Africa.
With its Green People’s Challenge Call, the Fund is seeking impactful solutions that can be deployed to either of two identified local challenges:
- Increasing Off-Grid System Sustainability
- Reducing CO2 Emissions via Energy Access
The expected impact and likely success of the proposed solutions to overcome social, ecological, and/or economic challenges in the energy sector will be analyzed by an assessment committee.
This will be followed by a final submission to the decision committee which includes representatives of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
A special focus is placed on sustainability, meaning that benefits pursued in the framework of the project’s timeframe are expected to continue beyond implementation.
- Applicants must be either NGOs or local for-profit organizations in the country of implementation without commercial ties to for-profit organizations from industrialized countries.
- The applicant must have existed at least for 3 years with a minimum annual turnover of 20.000€ and/or a minimum of three full-time equivalent staff.
- The Challenge Call prioritizes solutions from within the nine Green People’s Energy focal countries: Ethiopia, Benin, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Mozambique, Namibia, Senegal, Uganda, and Zambia. However, other sub-Saharan countries are also welcome to apply.
Documents to be provided during the application process:
- Certificate of registration
- Tax registration certificate
- Organizational chart
- Non-profit organizations must present proof of non-profit status under local regulations and organizational statutes
How to apply
Start your application by taking the following steps:
- Fill in the three documents provided below
- Send the completed documents and all required annexes to [email protected]
Entries close for the 2021 Green People’s Energy Challenge on Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
For further information, click here.